Skip to main content

COVID-19: Buhari has no direction, protect yourselves – PDP cautious Nigerians

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has urged Nigerians to ensure personal safety.

It claimed that President Muhammadu Buhari has ran out of ideas regarding COVID-19.

PDP said as the lockdown is relaxed, Nigerians should protect themselves because Buhari and his government have no plans to rescue them from the jaws of COVID-19.

A statement by PDP’s National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan said Buhari had failed to find direction in the fight against the spread of the virus.

PDP charged Nigerians not to “resign to fate and jeopardize their lives following President Buhari’s failure to find direction in the fight against the spread of COVID-19 in our country despite the huge resources at his disposal.”

The opposition party also described the Presidential Task Foce on COVID-19 as incompetent.

PDP said Buhari Presidency and its “incompetent Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 had compounded the situation by crippling the economy after which they are now leaving Nigerians to their fate without providing any therapeutic or operable containment strategy to stem the rising spread and fatalities of COVID-19 in our country.

“Our party notes that the inept leadership of Buhari Presidency failed to engage our indigenous medical experts and manufacturers for home grown solutions in therapeutics, test kits and ventilators; leading to an avoidable spike of the pandemic in our country,” the party addef.

The gradual lockdown in Abuja, Lagos and Ogun States as directed by Buhari is expected to start today, May 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wage a successful COVID-19 war, by experts

There is anxiety as the community transmission of Covid-19 stares Nigeria in the face. How can the government stem the tide? President Muhammadu Buhari has been applauded for the way he has transparently conducted the anti-Covid war by foreign bodies and other stakeholders. But, he will receive more praises only when the curve begins to flatten. The World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, observed that measures so far taken by Nigerians were in the right direction and result-oriented. Ghebreyesus noted that Nigeria was swift and transparent in information dissemination, thanking the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC) for its efforts since the index case of the virus was reported in February. He said: “This a true act of solidarity and an important step in stopping the coronavirus from spreading further.” Also , the United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, showered encomiums on the Nigerian government for its commit...

COVID-19: PDP hails Buhari, attacks APC

The Oyo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has hailed President Muhammadu Buhari over his decision to relax the coronavirus lockdown in Abuja, Lagos and Ogun States. In a statement by the party’s Publicity Secretary, Engr Akeem Olatunji, it said Buhari’s decision to relax restrictions of movement in the affected areas is laudable because the lockdown has adversely affected Nigerians. The party noted that the new approach by the Federal Government was a testimony to the supremacy of Governor Seyi Makinde’s in combating the pandemic logically and scientifically which is now clear as a good template worthy of emulation. The party noted with disdain how opposition parties in the state, particularly the All Progressives Congress (APC), had attempted to discredit Makinde’s giant strides in keeping the state safe from a larger outbreak of the disease within the ambient of very limited resources while allowing commerce to thrive during partial lockdown in Oyo State. The...

All Aboard..! Steering Nigeria’s COVID-19 Action Train

The first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Nigeria on the 27th of February 2020. Just a little over two months ago and, yet, it feels like a lifetime has elapsed. The world we lived in then, is so much different from the one we are about to be released into, as the lockdown restrictions are lifted. When the lockdown was announced by President Muhammadu Buhari on the 27th of March, there were 65 confirmed cases in the country and the President’s Chief of Staff had just tested positive for the virus. Today, we have confirmed over 2000 cases, and many of our beloved fellow citizens (more than 50) are no longer with us, having fallen in the wake of this novel coronavirus. May the souls of the departed rest in peace, and to those of us who remain on the journey of life, may God grant wisdom. We need it, desperately, at this time to navigate the complexities ahead. The month we spent sheltering in place was, without question, challenging; but in our isolation there was an odd sort of t...