Skip to main content

Hospital workers panic as man tests positive for COVID-19

There is anxiety among workers of the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital (AUTH) as a patient admitted into the hospital’s casualty ward tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19).

A source within the hospital told The Nation that the patient, a man, was admitted on April 25, 2020.

It was learnt that when he started showing symptoms of COVID-19, the officials of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) attached to the isolation centre at the hospital were promptly invited to take his samples for test.

The source said when the test came out positive, the workers ran away, leaving other patients in the ward.

“The patient was admitted on Saturday evening and those on duty took his medical history. But it did not include cough and fever. It was when the medical team came that it was included.

“However, when his temperature became high on Sunday, the workers nursing him raised the alarm and the NCDC officials were immediately notified. They came and took his sample on Sunday afternoon. The result came out positive on Tuesday evening and he was immediately evacuated to the isolation centre,” the source said.

As the time of this report, the ward had been shut down by the management while the workers were advised to self-isolate for 14 days before their samples will be taken for testing.

It was not immediately clear how many workers, visitors and patients had contact with the patient before his test came out.

But the source, who was among those who nursed him, placed the number of workers at about 20. Efforts by our reporter to reach the hospital’s spokesperson via calls and texts did not yield any response.

But in a memo to the workers by the Chairman of the hospital’s Medical Advisory Council, Dr. Nicholas Baalong, the management directed that any patient who comes to the hospital without a face mask should not be attended to.

In the memo, dated April 29, 2020, the hospital management said: “Recall the earlier memo on the above, dated March 24, 2020. We wish to sincerely thank all our Staff for the understanding, support and cooperation over the last 4 weeks since we tried to put some measures in place aimed at curtailing the spread of the virus within our facility.

“In view of the recent pronouncements from the Government, we shall continue to observe closely as events unfold. Our clinical activities for now still remain low except for the emergency services.

“Management wishes to take measures to further protect our healthcare professionals and the community within the hospital which include strict adherence to the principal of universal precaution using basic hygiene practice of regular hand washing with the provided hypochloride solution in water placed at designated points within the hospital.

“All Staff should be on Face-Mask at all times once within the hospital premises. All patients and their relations coming into the hospital should be on face-mask. Patients without face-mask would not be able to access care in the facility. Management is making frantic efforts to ensure availability of PPEs.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to wage a successful COVID-19 war, by experts

There is anxiety as the community transmission of Covid-19 stares Nigeria in the face. How can the government stem the tide? President Muhammadu Buhari has been applauded for the way he has transparently conducted the anti-Covid war by foreign bodies and other stakeholders. But, he will receive more praises only when the curve begins to flatten. The World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General, Dr Tedros Ghebreyesus, observed that measures so far taken by Nigerians were in the right direction and result-oriented. Ghebreyesus noted that Nigeria was swift and transparent in information dissemination, thanking the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC) for its efforts since the index case of the virus was reported in February. He said: “This a true act of solidarity and an important step in stopping the coronavirus from spreading further.” Also , the United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, showered encomiums on the Nigerian government for its commit...

COVID-19: PDP hails Buhari, attacks APC

The Oyo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has hailed President Muhammadu Buhari over his decision to relax the coronavirus lockdown in Abuja, Lagos and Ogun States. In a statement by the party’s Publicity Secretary, Engr Akeem Olatunji, it said Buhari’s decision to relax restrictions of movement in the affected areas is laudable because the lockdown has adversely affected Nigerians. The party noted that the new approach by the Federal Government was a testimony to the supremacy of Governor Seyi Makinde’s in combating the pandemic logically and scientifically which is now clear as a good template worthy of emulation. The party noted with disdain how opposition parties in the state, particularly the All Progressives Congress (APC), had attempted to discredit Makinde’s giant strides in keeping the state safe from a larger outbreak of the disease within the ambient of very limited resources while allowing commerce to thrive during partial lockdown in Oyo State. The...

All Aboard..! Steering Nigeria’s COVID-19 Action Train

The first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Nigeria on the 27th of February 2020. Just a little over two months ago and, yet, it feels like a lifetime has elapsed. The world we lived in then, is so much different from the one we are about to be released into, as the lockdown restrictions are lifted. When the lockdown was announced by President Muhammadu Buhari on the 27th of March, there were 65 confirmed cases in the country and the President’s Chief of Staff had just tested positive for the virus. Today, we have confirmed over 2000 cases, and many of our beloved fellow citizens (more than 50) are no longer with us, having fallen in the wake of this novel coronavirus. May the souls of the departed rest in peace, and to those of us who remain on the journey of life, may God grant wisdom. We need it, desperately, at this time to navigate the complexities ahead. The month we spent sheltering in place was, without question, challenging; but in our isolation there was an odd sort of t...